Getting psyched for the New Year? Think that it is time to make some meaningful resolutions? Here are five things to avoid and five things to choose instead for this New Year (and you can resolve it anytime you like, fireworks are not required…smile)
Avoid statements which presume a negative has existed in your life up to this point. Concentrate on generating a positive creative energy in your life when you want change. I believe change is in fact simply altering the flow of energy which already surrounds us.
1. I am going to go to ______ more often (church, yoga, acupuncture, gym or another worship alter of your choice). You don’t need to push yourself, you need to treat yourself. Choose outcomes not processes. Visioning is a wonderful way to have a more athletic body for example.
2. I am going to stop _______ (smoking, eating, drinking, carousing or your favourite pass-time of choice). You do not need to stop anything, you need to start something. Affirmations are a good substitute for “not”. Try “I am a non-smoker “as an example if you want to stop smoking ( 7X7). Say it seven times in succession and repeat seven times each day.
3. I am going to have a _________ (baby, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife or other significant relationship) this year. These are choices and not made by you alone so you do not need a resolution you need discussion and interpersonal communication. Resolve to take a course in understanding child development for example as a good way to prepare to have a child. Open a place and the universe will fill the space.
4. I am going to get a new/better/different ________ (car, house, job, etc). The issue is most likely about worthiness and receiving. Treating yourself to receive could look something like this: I am one with the universe and know that I am in the right time, place and emotional space to receive perfect employment into my life right now. I am grateful to receive meaningful and fulfilling tasks to enhance my daily life experiences. I let go and open to receive.
5. I am going to be a better _________ (person, communicator, wife, husband, sister, brother, father, mother, etc). We are all the perfect examples of ourselves at this moment in time. Each of us is a completed and whole creation. The fact we may desire improvement should never detract from the fact we are already whole, complete and perfect. All we are asking for in this instance is for another part of us to reveal its true nature to us and so that is all we need to acknowledge. A clearly stated affirmation to this effect is the most powerful way to move our energy into alignment with a “better” version of ourselves. An affirmation recognizes we see it as part of us already and that allows the energy to move into our reality as we have created space. And so to end this year I leave you with the following “affirmation” (which I also call a spiritual mind treatment).
There is a universal intelligence, power and energy in the universe and I am connected to it. It flows to me and through me and I can use it to create a life I love to live. I speak these words into my reality knowing even as I think them I have created them. I am whole, complete and perfect. This year I joyfully accept into my life deeper relationships with my family, friends, colleagues and even casual acquaintances. I generate and celebrate financial prosperity for myself and those around me as I use my talents and abilities to enrich the world. My body aligns physically and my soul aligns spirituality to produce a balance of harmony emanating from within but shining and obvious from without. My experience of my world is energizing and I pass this energy along to others also. I accept and give thanks for the people, places and property that move throughout my life and I am grateful that I have been created and am creative as I celebrate this life I love to live. And so it is. Happy New Year.